RE: Strange Intermitent Electrical Problem

To: "'N'" <twobees@sprynet.com>, "'MG Digest'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Strange Intermitent Electrical Problem
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 22:15:23 -0500
It sounds like a starter that needs some reconditioning. Under load of
starting you may not be getting enough torque. It IS possible, in fact
likely, to hit some of the same spots on the armature. (Remember the
engine will normally come to rest on one of 4 spots corresponding to the
max compression on each of the 4 cylinders). However, I would open it up
and have a look. My guess would be brushes that are worn to the point
that they no longer make good contact with the commutator.

Regards,
Lew Palmer

Behalf
> Of N
> Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 9:11 PM
> To: MG Digest
> Subject: Strange Intermitent Electrical Problem
>
> The recent thread about electrical shorts reminds me -
>
> For the last 6 or 8 months, I've had this problem with starting.  Had
it
> two
> days in a row a few weeks ago.  Came out after work & turned key to
start
> &
> starter cranked engine about 1-1/2 turns slowly before quitting.
Second
> try
> didn't even get one full turn.  Where I park I was able to easily roll
> down
> hill & jump it.  Instant starting.  Tonight it did it again.  But this
> time
> it wasn't in the parking lot at work, it was on the main drag with no
> hill.
> I tried pushing to jump it, but couldn't get enough speed.  (No
Wheaties