Re: Strange Intermitent Electrical Problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Strange Intermitent Electrical Problem
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:51:33 EDT
In a message dated 6/5/02 10:14:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
twobees@sprynet.com writes:

> Now, here's the situation:  the battery is fairly new, no corrosion on the
> cables, all connections tight, including starter connections, alternator
> putting out 14 v, circuit cut when I park via race-necessary shut-off so no
> battery drain through any kind of short.  If it were a bad section on the
> starter armature, wouldn't the chance of coming back to the same spot on 4
> or 5 tries be almost impossible?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Is the engine block to chassis ground strap in good condition and tight?  If
so, I would suspect a bad starter.  Take the starter out, take it apart,
clean everything with electrical cleaner, re-cut the commutator, replace the
brushes, check the condition of the pinion while you can see it, paint the
case, or take it to a good auto electrical shop and have them do all that.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"