Blew a rod.

To: "mgs list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blew a rod.
From: "Carter Tuggle" <goutvols2@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:50:36 -0500
Well here I go again.  I have a 79 midget.  Last week I started hearing a
faint knock when I gave it gas.  Today it got louder.  So I went straight to
the Mg guru.. He says by listening it sounds like I have blown a rod.  I don't
know this mechanic but I have been told he is the best we have here in
southeast MO.  So I need your opinions as to what he says needs to be done.
First he says that he will Drop the oil pan to look at it.  If it is a rod he
will have to pull the engine to fix..  If this is true, I would be a fool not
to go ahead and replace the clutch.  Right?  Is there anything else I should
do while I have the engine out?  What I'm thinking is after he pulls the
engine I will go get the body, bring it home & clean up & paint the engine
bay.  Anybody else out there who have been through this, I would appreciate
your insights into what you did or what you wish you would have done.  Thanks
in advance.

Carter