Internal Engine Stamped Numbers...what are they?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Internal Engine Stamped Numbers...what are they?
From: "F. J. MacFarlane" <n5bgy@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 18:25:15 -0500
I'm the newest owner of a very nice 1967 MGB, and it's started smoking (from
the exhaust).  I pulled the head to scope out the situation, and I noted a
number "3" with a diamond around it stamped next to every cylinder bore atop
the block, and also on the head of all four pistons.  The Bentley manual
says one is to stamp the oversize in an ellipse (on overboring) in these
locations, but I read 3.16 (factory spec bore diameter) plus a few thousands
in all 4 cylinders.  I really don't think it's 30 thousandths overbored (or
conversely, that I'm getting the reading off by .03" plus).  Any thoughts on
what those diamond-3's mean?

BTW, has anyone had experience with the head gasket causing oil consumption
in one cylinder?  The gasket (laminated copper) had a sort of
cracked-looking spot between #2 cylinder and the intake pushrod bore hole.
Maybe that's where the oil's getting in...except that the compression test
figures are 150-160 psi on all 4 cylinders.  Hmmm.  A real mystery.

OK, the last question...what does MOWOG mean?  Morris Works Garages?
Morris, Wolseley, and ?  It's emblazoned upon all big parts of my baby's
engine.  MoPAR, EnFo, FoMoCo I understand, but MOWOG is a mystery.  I'll bet
it's a FAQ somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the usual places.  Thanks
much.

F. J. MacFarlane
Houston, TX

Previous owner 1967 EnFo Anglia