blowing fuses

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: blowing fuses
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:23:21 -0500
I started tracing electrical problems this AM on the 67B, which had been
blowing the bottom fuse as soon as I turned it on. This effected the fuel
gauge, blinkers, heater switch, and wipers. Spent an hour highlighting and
color coding the electrical schematic so I could find everything easier the
next time. Barney said to take all three green wires off the fuse terminal and
plug them in one at a time to see which one blows the fuse, and/or check
continuity.  Two of the wires caused the short and both had no continuity when
tested. Why would two wires be shorted in this circuit? I cleaned the
terminals to all the affected accessories and removed the voltage stabilizer
(according to Moss, not supposed to be one on the 67, but there was). I sanded
the case of the stablilizer and where it mounts to create a better ground and
lowered it where I could get to it the better the next time. This fixed
(temporarily?) the problem, although I don't know which one was the direct
cause since I didn't want to blow any more than the 5 fuses I'd already blown
:-).
Thanks for the advice.

Monte 79B, 67B, and 74 1/2 parts car
Kahoka, MO USA