Re: [Partial OT] Snotty Pinafarina owners

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Partial OT] Snotty Pinafarina owners
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:08:53 -0500
Dear MG friends,
   Car people are car people.   They are mostly good people.
 And a$$h0!e$ are a$$ h0!e$.  They come in all varieties and
they all stink.  The people who drive Pininfarina designed cars
for the IMAGE are no different from the people who drive
Porsches or BMWs or Corvettes or Lexuss (Lexi?) or MGs
for image.  We in the Ferrari owners' group call them the 'gold
chain and Italian loafers <without socks>' guys.  All image, no
substance.  Fortunately, they are the minority because there is
always the NEXT image to portray.  They don't stick around
long.  These are the guys who buy new Corvettes or a new 550
Barchetta because they CAN and because no one else has one
yet.  My neighbor bought one of the new Corvettes <a few years
ago> when they first came out.  He paid $15k OVER retail just
to be SEEN with it.  He kept it about 6 months.  Many of the
Pininfarina IMAGE gang are responsible for the Ferraris, etc.,
that are garage queens with 200 miles on them.   Real Ferrari
owners are just 'car guys' and they drive and enjoy their cars
just the same as MG guys do.  My 308GTB has over 50k miles
on it -- 20k added since I have owned it!
   Advice?  Keep waving to the Ferraris, Lambos, Alfas, etc..
The drivers who wave back are just car guys like us and you
would like them.  The ones who don't wave back, you wouldn't
like anyway.  No loss.

Rick
'99 GMC Suburban
'92 BMW 525i
'88 BMW M3
'79 Ferrari 308GTB, a Pininfarina design
'73 SAAB Sonett
'68 BMW 1600-2
'66 Mustang coupe
'30 Chevrolet "Universal Sedan"

Ps: I always hear people talk about buying Ferraris to 'get girls.'
It doesn't work that way.  Girls like Kia Sophias and new Beetles!
Ferraris attract teenage boys.  I certainly don't want any of that!