TD Purchase Help/ Blow By

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Purchase Help/ Blow By
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 07:44:50 -0400
To All,

   This is a follow-up from my tall friend who wanted to
buy a TD.
He managed to find one that he can get in to (non-stock
seat back)
and now he has a few final questions about the engine
before he
says yes or no to this one.  Note, my comments will be in
paren ( )

   Please respond to him directly.  His e-mail is
nels@flightsim.com

Thanks for your help.

   Gene Balinski
      80 B

A follow-up on last weeks request for help. First, thank
you to everyone
who answered. I think I responded personally to most people
who answered
but if I missed you please accept my appreciation here.

I re-visited the potential purchase car today. Other than
the engine
condition I'm satisfied on the other issues brought up
previously.
Here's what I learned about the engine today:

There is smoke coming from the breather tube pretty much at
all times--cold,
hot, whatever. The only time it really stopped was when we
removed the
oil filler cap on the very top of the engine and then we
saw smoke
coming from there instead.  (Smoke color was white-ish,
going to a little blue)

We did compressions checks both cold and hot. Here are the
results for
each of the four cylinders:

Cold:  115, 114, 125, 110
Hot:   105, 110, 120, 105

This gave us a chance to examine the spark plugs. All were
black and
somewhat oily.

I also watched the oil pressure more closely this time.
Immediately
after startup it was around 80. After the car warmed up and
we drove it
it was around 50, varying with engine RPM as expected.
After finishing
driving with the car at idle it was down to about 20.

After the car was warmed up the exhaust was fairly clear.
However, if
the engine was rev'ed at the point where it was released
back to idle
there would be a puff of exhaust smoke. (Clean idle, a
little black
smoke with when you blip the thottle, with blue smoke
upon throttle lift. Maybe valve seals ?)

Some final notes: over the past 20 years the car has been
used very
little, averaging less than 100 miles per year. The engine
starts right
up, idles smoothly and seems to have plenty of power while
driving.

Although other indications seem good, I assume that the
smoke does
indicate a problem. But, how bad? Something that has to be
rebuilt right
away? Good enough to drive for a few thousand miles and
then requiring
some work? Or...? Any feedback is appreciated.

--Nels Anderson
  Potential 1950 MGTD

http://www.nni.com/