Re: mga rear hub questions

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mga rear hub questions
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:19:17 -0500
At 09:18 AM 6/24/02 +0300, Evangelos G. Makris wrote:
>.... questions on an MGA disc wheel rear hubs:
>
>a. To drift the hub/bearing back onto the axle do you use a large socket?
>What size? Should it "hit" the inner or outer bearing race?

Assuming that the seal and bearing are already installed in the hub, you
slide it on the axel housing and press or tap on the inner bearing
race.  It usually goes on a lot easier than coming off.

>b. What tool do you use to fasten the large hub bearing nut?

1-61/64 inch octagonal socket.  Looks like this:
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/rearaxle/hub_06.htm
or like this:
http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/a_diff/1327.jpg
Moss Motors part number 384-905 for $27.90 list.
It takes a 3/4" square socket drive, or a large round steel bar to turn it.

>I can't find a suitable 8-sided socket here, so using my large torque
>wrench is out. I'm thinking of a long plumber's adjustable wrench but
>maybe someone has a better idea?

The better idea is that you need the right tool.  You should torque this
one up to at least 150 lb-ft of torque, and don't spare the horses.  The
nut is relatively thin, so a standard wrench would tend to slip off, and it
is also hard to access in teh counterbore space.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg