re: MGB/GT brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: MGB/GT brakes
From: Mowog1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:57:27 EDT
Greetings....I queried Geoff Allen of Cheshire (retired employee of the
Abingdon Works..he did rectification for a majority of his 26 years at the
facility) on the brake post recent...the following is his reply to me.....

rick ingram
1978 mgb tourer
1969 mgc tourer
1974.5 mgb/gt V8

Hi Rick,

    This is just a quick note as we are busy packing for a short holiday at a
resort named Cromer over on the east coast.

    As the letter from Tim was quoting brake problems back in 1967, he must
have been referring to the early GT's which at that time did have the same
wheel cylinders fitted as those fitted to roadsters, Part No. GWC 1103.

    From sometime in 1967-68 the GT went into production fitted with a
different wheel cylinder, Part No.GWC 1122.  This was to balance the ratio of
braking front to rear, due to the extra weight of the GT body,  i.e.
tailgate, rear screen, rear quarter lights etc. In production the axles had a
spot painted on them on the back plates adjacent to the wheel cylinder bleed
nipple, a blue spot on roadsters and a green spot on GT's for identification
purposes.

    As was mentioned in Tim's quote  the roll pin is in a slightly different
position and the brake back plates have the locating hole drilled to
accommodate the roll pin in the different position.

    The foregoing remarks refer to the 1800cc MGB's and GT's, the GT V8's are
fitted with the same rear wheel cylinders as fitted to the roadsters Part No.
GWC 1103, as the front brake pads sweep a larger area of the discs.

    So if at any time you pick up second hand rear brake back plates for the
V8 from a vehicle dismantler make sure you take them from a GT V8 or 1800cc
roadster and not a 1800cc GT.

    As far as the front dust covers are concerned it seems to be a matter of
personal choice.  I run with mine fitted as our climate is not that hot, but
I know of several people who run without them, I don't know how it effects
the braking in heavy rain though.

    I do know of at least two of our MOT (Ministry of Transport) testing
stations who will not pass a car with the dust covers omitted as it may
effect wet weather braking.

    If I can find out any further info I will send it on when we return from
Cromer.

Best Wishes to you all,

Geoff.