RE: All Original

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: All Original
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:04:42 -0500
> Can somebody explain to me the value of the statement "all
> original" and
> why it is used in selling "classic" cars.

Well, it depends on your interpretation of "all original".  To me, it means
the car hasn't been modified in any way.  No Miata seats, no flared wheel
wells, no Weber carb, etc.

After that, it's different locations on a spectrum.  For some, "all
original" means it has to have the original seat covers, etc.  For others,
as long as they have been recovered in proper material of the proper
pattern, replacement is fine.  Since there are so many different
interpretations of what "all original" is, you have to find out what the
seller means on a case by case basis.

Also, you have to add in the fact that so many sellers don't have idea what
they're talking about, and likely don't know what is and isn't original.  If
I had a nickel for every time I'd seen an ad for a XJ6 that said it has
'original' or 'factory original' wire wheels, I'd have a few bucks in my
pocket, but they wouldn't be any less incorrect.