Shock Link Replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Shock Link Replacement
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 19:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, spent a couple hours working on replacing the rear shock link and 2
rebound straps this afternoon. Got the bolts for one rebound strap off,
both the axle and body-mounted ones. Am soaking the other side's bolts
overnight. Haven't gone back to the stripped nut on the axle on that side
yet... Thanks to those that responded to yesterday's 'Stripped Nut' post.
On the actual shock link, I cleaned off the gunk on the shock end of the
link and am soaking that as well. The axle attachment, well, that one
turns well, unfortunately it is turning inside the end of the link! This
is the end that has the ball-looking deal, with no protruding nut. The nut
is on the outside of the leaf spring u-bolt attachment, between a lip and
the actual spring - difficult to get at, and only with an open-ended
wrench. Put heat on it until the rubber pad between the u-bolt attachment
was smoking, but haven't loosened it yet. I hope to spend a few hours on
it tomorrow before heading off the Maryland for the week.... Oh well, I
think I may have lost a few pounds sweating in the heat!

=====
Dan DiBiase
The Garden State (What Exit?)
'76 MGB Tourer (Driver)