Re: speedo lubrication

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: speedo lubrication
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 14:04:39 -0500
Monte:

In the past, I've been told not to lube the speedo cable with any
petroleum product as any kind of sticky lubricant just causes the dirt
and worn material to stick and then the cable doesn't spin freely.  I've
been cleaning cables thoroughly and then lubricating the inner with
powdered graphite.  The graphite I have is in a tin big enough to hold
the coiled cable.  After shaking the can, I carefully feed the now
covered cable from the can back into the sleeve.  I believe there is
commercial product that is graphite with a carrier that evaporates
leaving no sticky residue.

Blake