Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:10:53 -0700
on 8/6/02 3:06 PM, Larry Colen at lrcar@red4est.com wrote:

> I got the type that points the filter up for the simple expediant of
> that is what was in stock and I didn't want to wait any longer to
> drive the car.  It seems that I have my choice:
> point up, get in the way of working on the distributor
> point down, get in the way of working on the starter

That's about it <g>

> I put it on, Oil pressure was great. I took it for a drive around the
> block (about 7 miles) and she ran great, no leaks.  I cleaned up some
> stuff, hit the new paint with some polish and this morning drove the
> car to work. Oil pressure was great, then it dropped for a while 25
> psi at idle, 50 when running, then it came back when the oil cooled a
> little bit.  After 45 miles, when I got to work, there was oil leaking
> out of the seal between the adapter and the block.  Sigh.
>
> Is there some magic incantation to make this seals actually keep
> working and not blow out?

IME it's very easy to get the adapter in slightly crooked. There's so much
slop while you're screwing in that long bolt, that often when the bolt head
"seats", it's not actually in the center of the adapter hole, and the
adapter is not centered in its well, or the o-ring has slipped out of its
trough. I once had the rim of the adapter hang up in the edge of its well,
and blow out 3-1/2 quarts of oil in under a minute.

I found it was best if you completely seat the assembly by hand (to get the
advantage of "feel"), then hold it in place while tightening the bolt. This
unfortunately seems to take three hands. I actually got my wife to help hold
it (she usually makes herself scarce at these times).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149