Numbers, paint colors, etc.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Numbers, paint colors, etc.
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:31:59 -0500
A few questions.  Warning: I'm long-winded.

My '68 MGB Roadster (Tourer) has a few flaky identification issues that I
will hopefully be resolving.  The VIN# (GHN4/U145000 G) has been screwed to
the left hand bulkhead just beside the radiator.  The "MGB number" (MGBU
002748) is a small oval shaped tag riveted to the right hand bulkhead
beside the radiator.  The Commission number normally beside the hood(bonnet)
  latch and above the NEGATIVE EARTH sticker is removed.  The engine number
plate has been removed as well.  I'm not looking at it right now, so those
locations may be misnamed.  The cars title has the proper VIN.  I didn't
notice these removals when I bought the car.  After I started stripping it,
  I noticed that it looks to have been the subject of some bodywork (read:
Bondo) in the past.  The bodyshop did a decent job as the plastic filler is
actually minimal.  The engine looks to at least possibly be of the original
timeframe.

1. Is there any way to deduce the engine number other than the riveted(?)
number plate?
2. Other than solely for the sake of originality, how important is the
Commission number?  Can it be deduced without the proper plate?
3. Why would all of these be removed?  Stolen car?  Unoriginal engine?
Goofy repair man?

My car is some sort of chartreuse yellow.  It may be pale primrose yellow,
  but I can't find a good example of that color online (at least none of the
online pictures look like my car).  Mine looks like the color of the car on
the cover of Volume 3 of The Proper MG Parts Catalog.  What is that color?

Regardless, my wife insists that I paint it British Racing Green.  That's
fine, but I was leaning towards Mineral Blue.  If only because I like the
blue piping on black interior better than white. :)

Thanks, and sorry for the manifesto length question.
Kevin