Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:50:55 EDT
In a message dated 07/08/02 9:34:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
barneymg@ntsource.com writes:

> Yes.  The starter motor is longer for the 1968 and later cars, and the
> straight hanging filter doesn't clear the end of the starter motor.

Hmmmm - must have a look at that.
I use a rather cunning ruse (I sound like Baldric!) on the MGA race car with
a late starter on an early transmission/engine, as I like the pre-engaged
aspect - doesn't wreak havoc with carefully balanced assemblies as does the
early starter, hacking (relatively) great hunks of metal off the ring gear,
for one thing.
I also use an adaptor for the filter, but it runs to a remote filter head, so
it avoids any clearance issues.
Guess I'll just have to get the engine back into the race car to have a look
at the situation!

I've run standing fit on the race cars from time to time, but when you have a
brace of Webers on top (as is the case with the HRG head in the TVR), the
only standing spin-on you can use is the diminutive one used on some Minis,
and I'm not all that keen on that small a filter. Plus it can be a swine to
remove under the Webers (I still have scars), as there isn't much clearance
even on the TVR, and nil clearance on the Twincam.

Even if the Moss item for the later cars is unavailable, one could look at
designing and machining up a custom piece - I have to do that all the time
with the race cars, and a nice bottle of single malt (or case or two of beer,
or what have you) often goes a long way with friendly machinists, as long as
it doesn't get really complicated.

Bill