Autobahn / new noise / aesthetics

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Autobahn / new noise / aesthetics
From: "Derek Vandivere" <d.a.vandivere@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:43:02 +0200
I like my new SU's (on the advice of the mechanic, paid way too much cash to
replace the old Weber DGV with twin SU's): feels like my 78B has
significantly more power, and the fuel economy also's gone up about 25%.
Best of all: five hours at between 75 and 90 mph yesterday, and no worries
at all (other than a brief rain shower)! Plus, I got to park right behind a
74 Midget all weekend.

There is a new noise, though: when making a tight turn at low speeds (e.g.,
a U turn) on a cold engine, I'm getting a rapid almost rubbery thunking that
goes away when I straighten the wheel. Any initial suspects to look at? I
know the clutch and u-joints both have issues, but it doesn't seem related.

And re: styling:
- I like Miatas, but that's probably because they're the car that gave me
the roadster bug (growing up, Dad would always reminisce about his old
Sunbeam Alpine, and he's had a Miata since '90)
- The Audi TT hardtop is butt ugly; looks like a New Beetle that's been
taking steroids. The convertible is much better, though
- I think the MGA is the prettiest car ever made. God help me if I ever move
out of Amsterdam (hell, at this point in my life, if I get a home) and get a
place where I can keep more than one car.

Derek, '78B with a new cardiovascular system

___
Derek Vandivere

phone/fax: +31 (0)20 330 7466 | mobile: +31 (0)629 065 528 | home page:
www.dersk.org