Re: Oil Pressure questions

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@attbi.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure questions
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:05:11 +0100
Personally I have never had a car that didn't have either an oil pressure
warning light or a gauge, and in my youth added audible warnings to it,
ignition warning light, temperature, water level and goodness knows what
else just for the hell of it.  But at a hill climb last year I watched a car
screech off the line and wondered what that big orange light on his dash-top
signified, then saw the large and spreading pool of oil back at the start
line.  He had gone several hundred yards at full chat before he spotted the
light, but screwed the oil filter back on, had another go, and won his
class.  The moral of the story being that even with a large and prominent
idiot light, if one's attention is elsewhere ...  One of the MG magaizines
was testing an MGF in the early days when the engine temperature warning
light came on whilst on the motorway.  They pressed on to the next
services - and blew the engine.  The moral of that story being if the idiot
sees the light but ignores it ...