Re: cleaning large things

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>, MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cleaning large things
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:07:06 -0600
I don't know about Canada, but the days of using the local car wash in the
USA have come to an end. Last time I took my greasy transmission in for a
cleaning after I took it out of the BGT, I got lectured by some woman and
told not to come back to her car wash. According to her it was illegal to
bring in my transmission to clean it off. But it was okay to clean it off
at the same car wash while it was still in the car (which I did so it
wasn't quite as messy removing it, just couldn't get to some hard to reach
areas).

Which brings me to my question on the same lines - what is the best way to
clean small things? I've been cleaning a lot of my grungy parts off my
engine/transmission but nothing works well on the old goo. I tried several
hydrocarbon solvents but finally went to the more environmentally correct
Dawn dish soap mixed in hot water (after I saw the TV commercial saying
they used Dawn to clean oily water fowl). It worked but only with a lot of
scraping and rubbing. Is there a better way? Besides using the dishwasher,
which I didn't.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B