Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>,
Subject: Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:53:05 -0700
On Thursday, August 22, 2002, at 01:47  AM, Telewest ((PH)) wrote:

> MG recommended cooler stats for hotter climes and vice-versa, but didn't
> recommend changing them with the seasons AFAIK.

True.  However, somehow I suspect that MG, at their headquarters in
England didn't realize the kind of fluctuations we get in parts of the
US.  Here in Pullman, which is actually fairly mild when you think about
it, we have highs from 90-100 for 2-3 months, and six months later, we
are dealing with high temperatures that *might* reach 32 (generally 25).

This year, I am attempting to stay with just the 180 stat all year.  It
was rather hot all summer (even after putting in a 4-row rad core), but
not so much that I worry about overheating.  I am only waiting for the
winter season, to see if it keeps things warm enough.

The 160 stat I used in the past didn't help me with cooling at all, but
temperatures seemed more "stable" in the summer; I was less likely to
see the needle on my temp gauge start to spike in traffic.

Of course, the only reason I have been trying to avoid switching stats
is because MG didn't put a drain in my rad.  Now that I have one
installed, I will likely do the 190/160 switch routine again, just for
piece of mind.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation apply.
  My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of the University.