Re: Computer virus Q

To: JAMES SCHULTE <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Computer virus Q
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:26:09 -0400
1) There is (or was a few months ago) emails circulating saying you had
Klez and they attached a file "to get rid of it for you".  Of course, the
attached file had the virus.  So people thinking they were infected (when
they really weren't) were running the file (and getting infected).  Don't
ever run any file from ANYONE unless (1) you know them AND (2) you were
expecting the file.  If you know them, but weren't expecting it, then write
them back or call them on the phone and ask exactly what the file is and if
it's safe.  Don't presume anything.  My mother could get a file from "me"
and run it trusting me, but I might not have sent it.

2) There have been a lot of spam and virus stuff going back and forth using
fake names.  We have viruses mailed out under our names all the time, but
if you check the headers, you'll find they originated from Taiwan.  Anybody
can put any name they want on an email (depending on your software).  So,
you might have had a legitimate report about a virus, but it probably
didn't come from you.  In other words, person X sends out a virus with your
name on it and your return address.  Legitimate server S gets the virus and
says "whoa, virus!  I'll reject it and tell the person who sent it to
me.".  Legitimate server S tells who it thinks is the sender (you), and so
you get a notice.  Of course, for you, this is the first you've heard of
it.  But it never came from you, just someone pretending to be you.  And
don't take it personally, they just send them from any valid name - you're
one of 30 million names.

- Tab