Re: Computer virus Q

To: schultejim@prodigy.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Computer virus Q
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:30:47 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/02 8:56:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
schultejim@prodigy.net writes:

> I received a return email saying I have a klez type
> virus. I ran Norton through a live update and then
> cleaned my drives with no virus detected.  What else
> can I do?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Jim, you are probably NOT infected if someone claimed they got an infected
e-mail from you.  Check www.sarc.com for more info.

The way the Klez worm works, is that it sends itself to everyone in the
address book of the infected computer, but it uses one of the addresses as
the sender.  That means that if Larry M. (fer instance!) has Klez and he has
your address in his address book, HIS computer will send the virus to Reg
(who is also in Larry's address book) but it will use YOUR address as the
sender, NOT Larry's.

So keep your AV software up to date and run it regularly.  And NEVER, EVER
download an attachment unless you are EXPECTING IT from a known sender.  I
get about 4 copies of Klez every day, and I just don't download it.  I have
not been infected...not been infected...knot ben infected...not bin
infekted...na ben fekted...help me...

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget