RE: Thinking of buying, how does it sound?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Thinking of buying, how does it sound?
From: Justin Lehrer <justinl8@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:37:40 -0700 (PDT)
Whoops, it's actually a rollbar, not roll cage....sorry.  Someone pointed out
that there were two more negatives in the first paragraph of my original
message, so maybe $4K is not such a great deal.  Also, seller doesn't have too
many records to show.

Next question is, can any one recommend an LBC mechanic in the sf bay area,
north bay (near oakland/berkeley/vallejo...)

thanks,

Justin

I recently checked out a 1970 MGB.  It seems to be in decent shape, but
not restored.  It has been painted (red-burgundy), but not extremely
well.  Original color was some kind of orange.  Asking price is $4000.
It ran strong (definitely faster than my previous '79 B.  It has a
rollcage.  Seats are orignal, torn, and covered.  Dash is not cracked.
Shifts easily, clutch is smooth.  A couple of rust dots on bumper (few) and
some bubbling paint on lower side, near bottom in front of rear wheel.
Doesn't seem like much corrion at all, but I don't have much experience
with what it takes to fix.

The only negatives that I came away with:

1.  the seller doesn't seem keen on taking it for long trips, or as a
daily driver.  My '79 was a daily driver for 3 years, and though I don't
plan to use this as a daily driver, I'd like to know why doesn't trust
it.

2. needs new top and/or tonneau

3. there is a slow battery drain (it has 2 6v) and dies after not being
run for about 2 weeks.

4. no clue on mileage

How does this sound to y'all?  Anything I should look out for or ask?

Thanks for your help.

justin
redwood city, ca
'79B, deceased