Re: Axle tramp

To: Chris Thompson <chris-mg@cthompson.com>
Subject: Re: Axle tramp
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:34:05 -0500
At 02:07 PM 8/26/02 -0400, Chris Thompson wrote:
>Max Heim (mvheim@studiolimage.com) wrote:
> >.... There was an article in a British mag about an IRS conversion, but ....
>
>There used to be a British company called "Trevor Taylor Conversions" that
>sold both an independant rear and a completely new front suspension
>system, ....
>
>.... The rear was a completely new, from scratch, setup designed to bolt
>up directly into an MGB, ....
>Converting pounds sterling to USD .... it would have been well over $2000,
>
>I had visited the trevortaylor.co.uk site a few months ago, and noticed
>that the site had been replaced with a paragraph announcing Taylor's
>death. When I go there now, the site is entirely gone.

Try this:
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/trevortaylor/indisusp.htm
and follow a few click links.  The web site isn't what it used to
be.  There is one picture of the entirely new fabricated front suspension,
but unfortumately not the IRS.  I saw that magazine article a while back,
and it was so impressive it had me drooling so bad I had a terrible urge to
buy an MGB just so I could try the conversion.  The IRS setup did indeed
bolt right on to the original leaf spring mounting points with a new light
subframe.  Had me wondering what it would take to adapt it to my MGA.  And
yes it was about $2000-USD just for the IRS.

Several years ago we had a bloke come speak at one of our club meetings
about some custom MGB suspension parts made here in the USA, and he brought
a demo car along.  The front suspension was very similar to the Trevor
Taylor conversion with coil over shocks and light weight arms.  The rear
suspension was a coil spring and tube shock conversion using the original
live axle with trailing arms to replace the leaf springs, also a complete
bolt-on set up.  It all fit ahead of the axle, and looked a little strange
at first glance with nothing aft of the axle housing.  I had a chance to
drive the car a little.  It had a nice crisp feel, and noticeably reduced
rear axle tramp running over railroad tracks.  I suspect it would do a
little better than stock suspension at autocross, but I didn't have a
chance to give it a real good workout on the city streets (and you know I
would if I had the chance).  For the $1200 worth of parts I don't suppose
they would sell too many for common street use.  He did not have parts
specifically designed for the MGA, but said if I was a serious buyer he
would consider looking into it.  I passed.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (stock suspension, heavy front anti-sway bar, and
a room full of autocross trophies)
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg