Re: Fuel Pump

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:00:10 -0500
Mike:

FWIW:
I would think any later model SU pump could be fitted to an
earlier MGB, MGA, and MG TF rear mounted pump car.

Provided:
1) The fuel connections match
2) The battery polartity matches.

The only difference otherwise would be:
1) The style and set up of the valves which doesn't affect
the deliver rate.
2) The delivery rate which could be greater than an earlier
style pump.
3) Fuel pressure.  However up until 1974, MGB's used SUs
and, AFAIK, all SUs pretty much used the same float chamber
needle and seat.

At one time there were two different float needle and seats:
a high flow one called T3 and the standard one.

Putting a higher capicity MGB pump in a MGA would be just
extra insurance.  I don't know the effects of putting it in
an early T series as these are low pressure pumps, while the
rear mounted pumps are high pressure.

The coil spring inside the pump determines the pressure and
a part number examination would show if there is any
difference.

--
Blake
MG TD