Re: Running roughly and blowing blue smoke....

To: "Tony Sheehan" <multitech@cairns.net.au>,
Subject: Re: Running roughly and blowing blue smoke....
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:56:42 +0100
Valves, rings, holed piston can all cause a single cylinder to be down.  A
head gasket is more likely to fail between 2 and 3 and hence cause two low
readings.  If the gasket has blown anywhere else I would expect to see
symptoms in the oil, water, or round the head/block join.  Retesting the
compressions with a teaspoonful of oil in each can differentiate between
valves/pistons and rings, the former will cause no significant increase in
the reading but the latter will.  Also listening to the exhaust, intake and
oil filler can reveal which valve is leaking, or rings.