Re: Discussion on using a MG Z series as a daily driver

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Discussion on using a MG Z series as a daily driver
From: mga <mga@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
Twenty years ago, I used a Magnette for my family car.  It was a '59 ZB
fitted with a 3-main B engine.  It wasn't very comfortable or very reliable.
I rebuilt the engine and tried to stay on top of things, but even twenty
years ago, it was an antique.  On cold mornings, the demist was lame and so
were the wipers.  Drum brakes were inadequate.  Tended to overheat and vapor
lock on hot days.

Now, my family car is an '82 Accord with 130k miles on it.  The Honda rarely
needs anything and is quiet, comfortable, and pleasant to drive even on the
freeway at 80 mph.  Even the AC works.  I wouldn't want an old Magnette for
my everyday car.

I drive a '91 Miata BRG and it's very pleasant.  Great heater, AC, radio w/
CD, CC, front discs.  Totally reliable and fun too.

The trouble with driving old cars daily is that time has deteriorated many
components, even if wear didn't.  And as you state, crowded roads full of
angry drivers, many in SUV's and big trucks, make driving a chore in any car.

Don Scott
'91 Miata
'80 TR8
'73 MGB GT