Re: Hobby in decline?

To: mga@napanet.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hobby in decline?
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:49:20 EDT
FWIW.......I get the greatest kick out of driving my MG and I have NO desire
to try a Miata or any of the other more exotic "sports cars".

I compare my drives to the barnstormer pilots of 30's...a real "seat of the
pants" experience. They're all bare-bones cars and there's an element of risk
and apprehension when you strap one on. I feel a certain "oneness" with my
car when I'm out driving....it's a great feeling.

Those drivers in their fancy Boxters and Z-3s have nothing on me. I would
even go so far to say that they look goofy with the silly wind screens behind
their heads. I relish confrontations with them...they'll never know the
thrill of driving a car that defined the genre.

Like Don, though, I am concerned about the decline of young people getting
into our hobby. As our beloved sports cars defined an era for us, the
youngsters today are more interested in Honda Civics and Mitsubishi Eclipses.
This can also be said of the American car hobby. Go to an American car cruise
some night and check out the age....we're all in the same boat.

Bob Stahlbush; 66 MGB GHN3L 78708; 60 TR3A TS 81398L
President BMCNE (British Motorcars of New England)