50/50 front or back?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 50/50 front or back?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 18:34:16 -0600
An interesting dilemma as I rebuild a 72B from the ground up. I got the
engine/transmission in okay. I put the cross member on that holds up the
transmission (with the rubber mounts on it). I was having a hell of a time
getting the bolts all lined up and still couldn't get one in. Then it
occurred to me - maybe the cross member is on backwards. To tell, I have
two other MGs for reference so I checked them out.

On the 65B, the straight part is facing to the front. On the 67BGT, the
side with the oval cut faces front. And I just put the straight face on the
front of the 72B. My 67BGT seemed to be well maintained when I bought it
and very original whereas the 65 has an 18V (70s) engine in it. So I'm
guessing I have the cross member in the wrong way and should be oval side
to the front.

Can anyone confirm this to be a correct assumption before I go out and
remove it?

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B