Re: Hobby in decline?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hobby in decline?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:12:41 -0500
<<<snip>>>
fire extinguisher
<<<snip>>>
All cars should have one, just like all homes should.
They're not that expensive anymore.

<<<snip>>>
decline of young people getting into our hobby.
<<<snip>>>
Around here, sports, or athletics, is THE major thing.

<<<snip>>>
parts companies closing in droves?
<<<snip>>>
Like J.C. Whitney most of the stuff is Chrome or smaltzy
glitz.  Many kids don't even work on their cars except to
change oil.  They either working or playing shports.  You
can't hot rod a modern engine very well.  All you can do is
change the car's appearance.  And consider what a 10-20 year
old car looks like and what can you do with it's appearance.

<<<snip>>>
They have no patience with vehicles that require routine
maintenance.
<<<snip>>>
I agree

<<<snip>>>
Where do we learn to do body work or engine work now?  Its
also simply not
popular to do your own work, let alone get dirty in my
generation's
thinking.  In return to this perspective many schools in my
area have
dropped automotive programs altogether.
Zach
<<<snip>>>
Well said Zach.  Even out here on the great plains where
we're used to being self sufficient, the schools have
dropped their Votech classes.  None of the colleges in SD
offer a teaching degree in the traditional mechanical or
woodworking arts as the classes have all been terminated.

<<<snip>>>
(years ago) the British sports cars were available new and
common sights on the streets.
<<<snip>>>
This probably has much to do with the decline as the names
aren't visible anymore.  What did we see in the James Dean,
Elvis, and Beach Party movies?  What do they see today and
how distictive is the car's appearance.

MY opinion:

I don't think cost of a LBC has much to do with the
decline.  I bought my TD in 1967 for $1200 on a new
teacher's income of $5000.  That's about 1/4 of the salary.
Today, teacher's around here start at about $25,000.  A good
used MGB or modern Midget can be found for $5000.  The lack
of new owners is the lack of product visibility and the fact
that you can't do much to a modern vehicle except change
it's appearance.
--
Blake
MG TD