Fw: electric fan switch

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: electric fan switch
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:34:09 +0100
 If you have a 20amp switch then you don't need a relay, but you will have
 use pretty stout wiring due to the long runs.  A better option is to use a
 heater fan switch, which will look better as well as only need standard
 gauge wiring, and a relay mounted somewhere between the fusebox and the
rad.

 If you are going to operate the fans manually and *not* have a thermostatic
 switch then I strongly recommend that the fans do *not* run with the
 ignition off.  If you park in a noisy location you could walk off and leave
 them running which will flatten the battery pretty quickly.

 You can wire a ground to one side of the switch, and the other side of the
 switch to one side of the relay winding.  Wire the other side of the relay
 winding to the green circuit at the fusebox.  This means that the relay is
 fused, and cannot remain operated while the ignition is off.  Wire a brown
 from the fusebox, via an in-line fuse (a standard 17amp rated, 35amp blow
is
 fine and you will have spares for it in the fusebox), to one of the relay
 contacts.  Wire the other relay contact to one side of the fans.  Wire the
 other side of the fans to a good ground.  Use stout wire for the brown and
 relay contact/fan wires.

 Metal can Lucas 6RA relays have the windings on terminals W1 and W2 and the
 contacts on C1 and C2.  Modern relays have numbered terminals; 85 and 86
are
 the winding and 30 and 87 are the contacts.  In both types it doesn't
matter
 which way round the winding is wired, or the contacts, but don't get a
 winding wire on a contact terminal or vice-versa.  However on modern relays
 the convention is to connect the 12v feed (i.e. the brown from the fusebox
 in this case) to terminal 30.  Modern relays are also available fused and
 unfused, the fused relay will eliminate  the need for a seperate in-line,
 but then you will need to carry different spare fuses for it.

 Be careful when using spare Lucas 6RA relays you may have lying around.
 There are many different types and some, like the starter relay, are only
 intended for intermittent use whereas as other like the ignition relay are
 intended for constant use.  If you use an intermittent-use type in a
 constant-use application i.e. for cooling fans the relay gets very hot and
 will eventually burn out either the winding, the contacts, or even the mica
 base.