dash lights reostat redux

To: mgs@autox.team.net (list MG)
Subject: dash lights reostat redux
From: proot@attbi.com
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:18:04 +0000
I had a wire or two melt this morning driving into work.

You'll remember I moved one connector (double-wire) from
behind to in front of the reostat, and left one on the
other side.

I'd got about 2 miles down the road, almost onto the
highway, just turned on the on-ramp. The dash lights
blinked off, and smoke started billowing from the
steering column. Yow! I pulled to the side, turned
off the switch and shut off the car.

After a minute or so, the smoke stopped. I tried the
ignition. It was light enough that I could drive home
on the residential streets I was on. But I had nothing.
Not a click. Joy.

I pulled cover off the steering column, and the red wire
from the headlight switch down to the connector just
the dash was melted completely. I disconnected that and
tried again. The engine started right up. And I got home
without problem.

So, does that 3 wire bundle from the head light switch
to the connector into the main harness come with the
switch? I don't know if the switch is bad, or what other
wires may have melted, but want info on what I'm looking at.

Paul.

--
Paul Root
'77B