Re: Rheostat and the burned wires

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rheostat and the burned wires
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:57:11 -0700
I have actually found a use for the rheostat, believe it or not!!
What I did was fit the radio shack #272-1133 bulbs, which are rated
for 7.5V.  Obviously at 12V they will not last long, so what you do is
turn down the rheostat so they are brighter than normal, but not so
bright that they burn out instantly.

I'm not running the Rat Shack bulbs now, as I had them on a little too
bright one night, and what I think happened was one blew, and that
dropped the load on the circuit, increasing the voltage to the other
bulbs, with the end result that they all burnt out at the same time.
Kind of exciting driving around with no dash lights at all..

Then again, it looks from the wiring diagram like they're in parallel,
so maybe something else happened.  Anyway... YMMV as always

Skye
66 B