RE: blinkers

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: RE: blinkers
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:44:56 -0400
I was working on my blinkers last night.  I've replaced my wiring harness twice
since owning the car, and both times I followed the wiring diagram, and both
times I had to swap the wires around until they worked.  I got to the point
where the hazards worked well but the turn signals would not blink at a
constant rate.  All of the bulbs were working, so I swapped the flasher unit
with one from a parts car and it worked much better.  The "new" flasher is
taller than the one it replaced, so I might have pulled the hazard unit rather
than the turn signal unit, but it works better than it ever did before, so I'm
happy.

I'd take the time to get the wires in the right places - the power for the turn
signals is supposed to come through the hazards, not the other way around.
With only four wires, it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to go
through all of the combinations.  Also, on my car the side lights don't blink,
just the ones in the front bumper and the tail lights.

--Steve (1980 MGB)