Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc - etc.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc - etc.
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:44:37 EDT
In a message dated 26/09/02 12:08:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I just can't avoid chiming in here because I have:
> A 1958 MGA with a three main 1800 motor and early MGB rear axle ratio,
> A 1967 MGB with a five main 1800 motor and overdrive,
> A "Pesky" porsche - 1969 911T soft window targa
> My general impression is
>
> The A with a 3 main is quicker than the B with a 5 main.

Using the 3.9 diff significantly lowers performance of the A, while enhancing
it's capability for extended high speed touring. Nice that it is still faster
 than the B, even so.

> I'm sure the 911 would run the socks off the MGA, but I enjoy driving the
> A more.  In another two years or so, I'll have to let you know how the 911
> with a performance engine in it is, because I'm working on that.

I used to run my MGA in a dead stock class. I ran a 1588 engine, and you had
to drive your ass off to compete with the flocks of Spridgets, Alfas, etc.  I
was faster than a Porsche 912 (same handling as your 911T, but less power
with the 4 cylinder engine), even though he was in a higher class. I was able
to simply outhandle the Porsche, which I recall gave me a rather large smile
at the time! On a larger track with longer straights, he would beat me, as
would the 914s.

Actually, I was also able to beat Morgans and Spridgets on the tight course,
although it meant some fairly energetic driving. They didn't realise, for
example, that you could safely hang a couple of wheels off the track when no
one was looking, as long as it was in the middle of a corner, and as long as
the wheels you hung off were unweighted (ie the inside wheels). Sometimes you
have to look hard to find space to pass...... I did get beaten by a 240Z and
one of the Lotus 7s (but not the other one;-)

Bill