Re: Spin on oil filter replacement...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spin on oil filter replacement...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:08:28 -0700
Huh, I have always wondered about these blanket condemnations of Fram
filters. Especially the part about drain back.

Last week when I removed the Fram PH8A from my Mopar small block, where it
is mounted in a horizontal position, a small amount of oil drained out
(maybe 4-5 oz.). From the weight of the filter I estimated it was still
holding most of a quart, maybe 12 oz., of oil. I placed it in my drain pan
with the opening down, trying to drain the oil out before disposing of it,
and guess what? Hardly any oil drained out. This is not after 30-45 seconds,
but after 3-4 years (the Plymouth has been in storage). It was essentially
impossible to get the last 10 or 12 oz. of oil out of it, by inverting it.
This makes me wonder about the objectivity of this oft-quoted test page.

I also noticed the last time I went to buy filters that Fram now has three
grades of filter. I don't know if this is "cheap, cheaper, and cheapest", or
"good, better, and best", but there seems to be a choice.

Disclaimer: no monetary interest in Fram products; it's just that they are
the only filter numbers I can remember.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149