Re: Engine mods and reliability

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine mods and reliability
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:28:26 +0930
Eric wrote:

> This weekend is our big event (well... maybe the twilight meet is
> bigger) for the year, our 6 Hour Regularity Relay Teams Meeting.  All
> the fun of the fair - and we are going to beat those darn Alfa guys this
>year!!

OK, so we didn't beat the Alfa guys... but at least they didn't win (and
they try to the point of it not being funny).  The Nissan/Datsun guys
won this year.  We ended up out of the top three, not far but I am not
telling how far :-)

> I can't believe how many of our normally staunch SuperSprint competitors
> have bailed out of this 6 hour event this year, mainly I think because
> they are going to have to run for more than the four lap sprint
> distance.  Many have said they are concerned about their cars not making
> the distance.

For your interest's sake, over the six hour period (with a team of five
cars - only one on the track at a time, hence the 'relay' part of the
name:-) I did some 46 laps, all at approx 1:35 per lap - hence just over
an hour of very high revs and very hard braking.  The longest stretch I
did was 18 laps or about half an hour.

Not an endurance race by any means, but certainly an effort for the
little beast and she came through with flying colours.  I reckon she
could have sat out there for hours (but you have to give the other team
members a bit of a run:-) without breaking anything as she came back
each time fresh as a daisy.

My big news was the difference that my 'sort of' coldbox made.  Running
Pipercross filters and 'stub' horns on the SUs has meant that they have
been sucking in hot air from the engine bay.  Without messing around
with a 'cold box' over the SUs I just made a 3" hole in the radiator
shroud and ran a 3" flexible tube from the grill to just in front of the
filter.  What a difference it made.

The car never got more than a little above heavy-traffic-driving warm,
when normally she heated up quite a bit in the four lap sprints, and
that was after half an hour really hammering it.  And the extra power
she had at both ends of the spectrum was very noticable.

Most impressive.

Ooops, gotta run to a control officials training session for the Classic
Adelaide Rally ( http://www.classicadelaide.com.au ).

When too much motor sport is NEVER enough.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI