Re: [Fwd: Oil and brake master cylinders] - NON MG

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Oil and brake master cylinders] - NON MG
From: Chris Thompson <chris-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:27:56 -0400
I think "Nothing Good" is probably correct, someone with a bit more guru in
them could probably list specifics.

For the record, however, I once took my car to a Jiffy Lube quick oil
change place for an oil change. I'd been getting very infrequent times when
my parking brake light on the dash would light up briefly at speed.

I asked them to check. They couldnt. They told me that state law (This
is ohio) wouldn't allow oil change places to do any brake work, as,
apparently, at some point, someone had filled up the brake lines with 30
weight, and mayhem ensued. He recommended I take it to the garage down the
street. (Which I did, it was a bad light switch in the parking brake
handle.)

-C

Paul Root (proot@iaces.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>       A friend of mine sent me this. Other than "nothing
> good", what happens. Oil isn't going to attack the rubber, but
> I'm sure it must have different compression characteristics.
>       He says that his rear brakes are locking up all the time.
> Obviously, this is DOT 3.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster