Re: Stripping Paint from parts

Subject: Re: Stripping Paint from parts
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 21:39:27 -0500
Ross:

When I rebuilt two TDs back in the 1970s, I bought a five
gallon pail of carb cleaner or something like sodium
hydroxide, caustic soda, etc. from an auto parts supply
house.  I forget exactly what it was.  Anyway, it would
strip paint off.  The pail was actually 6 or 7 gallon in
size.  It would also remove oil and grease.  When removed
you could rinse the residue off the part with water.
AFterwards I wire brushed everything to get rid of the rust.

You can make a good paint stripper using lye and water.
However I have been chastised for suggesting the method as
lye is very caustic.

Anyway after removing the paint by dipping you can clean up
the rust by using your sand blaster.  A two step method as
chemically stripping and the blasting the rust might be
faster and maybe just as cheap when you consider the
electricity and the media use.

Blake