RE: Bodywork

To: "'Patton Dickson'" <kpdii@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Bodywork
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:33:55 -0700
Patton:

Seconding the post from Telewest.

The snaps are readily available, and removing them makes it much easier to
finish sand the panels.  Watch out when you apply bondo, as it is easy to
cover up the holes, and a pain to try to find them later.

I normally paint the car, then install the rivet snaps when the finish
buffing has been done.  When you do this, the rivets can damage any paint in
the hole, so either as suggested waxoyl, or a dab of silicone on the rivet
before installing to prevent rust starting.

When rivetting the snaps in place, you have to develop a "pull back" reflex
when the rivet snaps.  If you don't, the nose of the rivet gun hits the new
paint resulting in oral pollution.

Filler works better on bare, etched metal.  Most primers are porous, so do
your homework before priming bare metal and leaving it for any time.

When you get into the dog legs, the inner sheet metal is going to be worse
than the outer.  The inner metal can be patched with flat sheet, and this is
a really good time to learn how to weld.  In fact a $300 MGB is a great way
to find folks to help you with tools and teaching.  Ask around, chances are
there are helpful folks to tap.

Kelvin.