RE: Does anyone know what engine this is?

To: mglist <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Does anyone know what engine this is?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:31:58 -0600
I think there were some minor casting differences in addition to the
smaller pilot hole in the crankshaft on the Marina engine. When I bought my
71BGT in 1983, I spotted some difference in the engine - enough that I knew
it was not the right engine in the car. It was an 18V engine though, and
I'm still not sure what it was in its appearance that tipped me off. The
head also differed in that it had the small cooling line that was used for
the automatic choke for a ZS carb that was blocked off. A British Leyland
mechanic I knew was able to identify it as a Marina engine by sight.

When I replaced the transmission with an o/d unit, I had to reuse the pilot
shaft part of the old transmission which had been altered so it could fit
into the smaller pilot bushing of the crankshaft (looks like it was turned
at a machine shop). I still have this piece in the garage as I later
replaced the engine with a 72 18V engine a few years later.

The head, which I assumed came with the Marina engine and thus a Marina
head, was used on the replacement engine for another 15 years and has now
been retired during a recent overhaul. I still haven't started the new
rebuild yet but its only weeks away I think.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B (71BGT reincarnated)