Re: Does anyone know what engine this is?

To: "Rick Brown" <mgrick@mgcars.org.uk>, "mglist" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know what engine this is?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:53:24 +0100
The 18V was 'standardised' across the BL range so if the number really is
850 it must be for another application, which AFAIK was only the Sherpa van
(not so LBC) and the Marina.  The Sherpas had 760 and 764 engines from 74 to
83, so there is a fair chance it is a Marina engine, I haven't been able to
find out what numbers they used.  The Marina had two extra lugs cast on the
back of the block to mate up with the stronger gearbox, and had a cast crank
instead of the forged of the MGB, so certainly would have had different
numbers to the MGB.  The TC had the same cam as the MGB, which the Sherpa
didn't, so again this engine would have had different numbers to the Sherpa.
Definitely not MG as only the MGB and Midget were being made at the time.
Conclusion?  It's a Marina.