Big Generators / Alternators.

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Big Generators / Alternators.
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:42:59 +1300
> LBC content.  I've still no input on how MG powered all of
> those extra headlamps on racing or rallyings MGA's and early
> B's with the standard generator.

I'm sure that they didn't.
There were plenty of other applications (marine, aircraft, heavy transport)
that needed more than the 16A or so a car generator could supply. Lucas and
CAV made a large range of this sort of thing.
It would have been quite easy to adapt one to a special purpose car.

I remember driving an army landrover that was 'fitted for radio' It could
run 4 army type tranceivers at an idle.
It had a dual (perhaps triple) circuit 80A alternator. It charged the
vehicle battery as well as two sets of paired 12V radio batteries. Made by
CAV
Was in 1964.

Ian F