Re: convertable top question....top five jobs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: convertable top question....top five jobs
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 02:50:41 EST
Andrew wrote:
"I am thinking about caribou canvas for the $ and the canvas.  I have
heard the 3 month horror stories yet and remain undaunted as I have
also heard that eventually they come through."

Andrew,
I ordered a Caribou Canvas top for my 1977 MGB last October and didn't
receive it until almost March.  I think they wait until enough orders come in
for them to pull out the patterns and make a batch.   They make the zipper
rear window for both types of frames-I highly recommend it.  Every time I
called the guy, it was "you'll get it next week."  I have a friend who has
ordered five tops from this same gentleman, and has never been disappointed,
but be prepared for the wait.  I think it is too late to order it for this
winter...

That said, the workmanship, materials, and fit are topnotch.  The price is
very hard to beat.  Make sure you have a bunch of people and a warm day to
put the top on as the thick fabric has to be stretched VERY TIGHT to remove
all of the wrinkles.  Measure, chalk, stretch, fit/refit, tack down, stretch,
fit/refit, stretch...  It is not a difficult job, but it takes patience.

The top came with all of the "lift-the-dots" and the slide clips installed,
but needed the snaps installed that fasten to the frame and windshield.  Make
sure you order enough snaps, the header rail seal and aluminum channel it
fits in as well as the pop rivets.

As for more difficult jobs...reinstalling the oil pan with the engine in the
car.  Getting the oil pan off was the easy part.  But getting those last few
7/16" nuts threaded back in without jacking up the engine was a bear!  Even
with the car on a floor lift, with 1/4" drive ratchets, flexsockets, swivel
sockets, breaker bars...I spent too much at Sears on that job!

Good luck!
Steve Sanchez
1977 MGB