Re: Heater Air Valve Inner Cable Replacement

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heater Air Valve Inner Cable Replacement
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:34:12 -0800
on 11/12/02 10:34 AM, Christian, Skip at ChristianWL@navair.navy.mil wrote:

> Group.  OK, I was all ready to tackle this job until I saw that it "might"
> be the hardest (or in the top 5) job to do on an MGB !!  Can someone give me
> some pointers to help do this job.  The outer cable is fine, but the PO
> installed flexible stranded cable for the inner cable when he put the car
> back together.  I have a new cable, heater box gasket, and gasket for the
> fresh air door.  Can the cable connection be reached through the dash fresh
> air vents (I thought I someone said this last week).
> Any help would be appreciated,  Skip

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it can (barely) be reached through the
passenger side footwell vent (the one with the stubborn flap). You need to
remove the flap itself (it comes off with the outer frame). If you're only
changing the inner cable, you may be able to reach in there with a tiny
wrench, loosen the cable clamping nut, and pull the old inner cable out from
the end at the control knob (which you have previously loosened). Then feed
the new inner cable back through. Due to the tight radius of the cable
routing, it is possible that the inner cable won't feed through, in which
case you may have to detach one or both ends of the cable housing in order
to get a straighter path (or you may have to replace the whole thing, sheath
and all).

Depending on the year of MGB, the back of the control knob may be nearly as
inaccessible as the air valve. On a Mark I the back-of-knob access isn't too
bad, but on a "pillow dash" car it's horrible. Many persons may not have
small enough fingers to deal with either end in this scenario.

If the valve works at all at present, I would let this one slide, frankly.

Good luck...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149