Re: Castor adjustability

To: "Philip S Jones" <philip.s.jones@attbi.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Castor adjustability
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:35:21 -0000
I was luckier.  I changed mine *because* it was pulling to one side slightly
and 'bonging' when going to full lock when stationary, new arms and bushes
cured both.  Mind you, having done the V8 I now notice the roadster doing
the same thing.

It certainly is the castor angle that makes the steering self-centring, and
hence different angles will cause stronger self-centring one side than the
other i.e. pulling to one side (rather than the tracking which is a common
misconception and affects both wheels equally).  If you know which one need
less angle and which more, you could try slackening the inner and outer
A-arm nuts and bolts and retightening them whilst applying pressure to the
bottom of the king-pin in the appropriate direction, you could also try the
same with the shock absorber mounting bolts.  I know these items are
supposed to align the suspension in a known and repeatable position but
there has to be some clearance in order to get the bolts in without a press,
and clearance means variation.  Did you also only tighten the inner A-arm
nuts when the suspension was compressed into its normal running position?