Re: Was: Muchos Gracias Now: Muchas Dinero

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Was: Muchos Gracias Now: Muchas Dinero
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:49:21 -0600
Dan:

I am no authority, but the original reference was in regard
to a trade embargo I thought.  I thought a trade embargo
controlled the quantity of items being imported or even
prevented their importation.  Quotas in other words.

A duty is a tax.  Originally most of them were created for
revenue purposes.  From what I recall of my history, that's
how the US got most of its income before the personal income
tax.  Now day's the primary purpose of a duty has been as a
protection for U.S. manufactures against cheaper foreign
goods.

Blake