Re: Follow up optimistic mgb wheel price

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Follow up optimistic mgb wheel price
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:03:58 -0800
If all you think is salvageable are the wheels, it's definitely not worth
towing home. Used wire wheels in unknown condition are basically worthless,
since it is far more likely than not that they will have problems. If you
had a B and just wanted a few spares around, or to replace a known bad
wheel, that's one thing; but it certainly isn't worth dragging home a rotten
carcass based on the resale value of "free" wheels. In all likelihood the
tire shop would tell you they are out of true, and refuse to balance them;
not to mention the spline issue. It's possible the spare might be OK,
though, if you wanted to nab that on principle.

As far as that auction is concerned, all I can say is that it appears
exceedingly bogus. Even a brand new chrome Dunlop rim and new Vredestein
tire would cost less than $300.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149