RE: Unleaded valves?

To: "'Mages, Michael'" <michael.mages@leanintree.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Unleaded valves?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:24:01 -0800
Michael:

The only visual clue would be if the head had been painted when it was
rebuilt.  Nothing else is going to tell you.

Now the good news.  So long as the engine has good compression don't worry
about the valves.  Hardened seats increase the life of a head, but are not
essential for operation.  If the seats have not been replaced, then the
valves will recess over time, and you will have to pull the head and get the
work done.  You are not going to save anything by doing any un-necessary
head work now.

Kelvin.