Re: ? a new thread- LBC's & MG's in literature

To: saidel@camden.rutgers.edu (Bill Saidel), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ? a new thread- LBC's & MG's in literature
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 09:12:02 -0500
Well, my first two thoughts on the topic of LBCs in literature:

James Joyce, Dubliners.  There's a chapter called "After the Race", describing
the aftermath of a road race held in Dublin -- I think the actual race was held
in 1904.  There is no mention of British cars, but it is about car racing in
Britain.  The race was won by a german car, he story's protagonists drove a
french car.

"How smoothly it ran! In what style they had come careering along the country
roads! The journey laid a magical finger on the genuine pulse of life and
gallantly the machinery of human nerves strove to answer the bounding courses
of the swift blue animal."

etc.

Thomas Pynchon, V.  The character McClintic Sphere (an amalgam of Thelonious
Sphere Monk and Ornette Coleman) drives a Triumph.  I don't have a copy handy,
or I'd track down a quote.  I don't think a model name is given.

Anyway, that's off the top of my head.

Matt