Re: MKI, MKII Dashboard

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MKI, MKII Dashboard
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:51:00 -0800
on 12/4/02 7:31 PM, Don Malling at dmallin@attglobal.net wrote:

> Hi Max,
>
> I have a 68-74 US market BMH LHD MKII MGB body shell (roadster). I would
> like to install a 62-67 US LHD MKI dashboard in it. I had understood I
> would have to weld in a 62-67 US MKI dashboard shroud in order to mount
> the 62-67 MKI US dashboard. As per this link -- it's a GT but same idea:
>
> http://www.theautoist.com/installing1964dash.htm
>
> Even to do this, I need to get a European market radio console.

Yes, because the contour of the the transmission tunnel is different.

> Does the post 67 MKII European market LHD dashboard look like the pre 68
> US MKI dashboard?

Actually, I don't know for sure. Clausager doesn't show a picture of it. But
that was my assumption based on reading between the lines, and from other
sources. At least he implies that the instrumentation remained the same;
i.e. large gauges.

According to Clausager, the "padded safety type" dash was fitted to US
models from December 1967, to Canadian cars from August 1968, and to Swedish
and German cars from the start of the 1970 model year.

That leaves Canadian cars Jan-July 68, and Swedish/German cars Jan 68-Nov
69, as candidates for having a non-padded LHD dash that fits a MKII. It
leaves open the question of other Euro export models (Netherlands, Italy,
France, etc.). Possibly a close reading of the timelines in Clausager would
clear up this question.

> Are you saying that a LHD European Market post 67 MKII dashboard will
> bolt right into my US MKII BMH body shell?

I don't see why not. But I have no personal experience with this swap, so
don't take it as gospel.

> If so, do you know anyone who has done this or where I can get more
> information on it. For example how does the steering column work out? Am
> I able to use the US market MKII steering column with the European
> Market LHD MKII dashboard, or must I get a European market MKII steering
> column to go with the European Mkt MKII dash?

The above is a good example of why you do want to find someone who has tried
this. I thought this whole matter was discussed on this list previously, so
perhaps someone will chime in.

> I am assuming MKI is 62-67 and MKII is post 67.

So am I <g>.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149